MENU

Friday, February 1, 2019

My Basic Skin Care Routine

If I knew then when I know now...

I seem to say this to myself nearly every day now that I'm in my mid-30's.  Because seriously, there are a lot of things I'd do differently - eat healthier, improve exercise routines, invest financially, move to an awesome "young person" city prior to getting married, wear sunscreen, the list goes on...

One of the things on my list is for sure taking care of my complexion.  I wish I had done a better job but then I think, besides wearing sunscreen, was taking care of our complexion really a thing? Perhaps.  I just didn't pay attention.

I've been asked quite often over the past few months about my skin care routine and I take it as a huge compliment.  It's something I've had to work at - a good complexion just wasn't coming naturally to me.  I'm fortunate that I've never had an acne-prone complexion or trouble with excessive redness but having kids really did take a toll on my skin.   After having my second child my skin needed some work.  I even went to a dermatologist to figure out how to get rid of dark spots!

I tried a few skin care regimes including drug store products like the Olay line and Rodan and Fields.  If these work for you - AWESOME!!  Unfortunately they didn't work for me.  I see so many woman with awesome R + F results online and in social media but I didn't see them and couldn't justify the expense for the lack of results I was seeing.

So, I started to do some of my own research and ta-da! I'm seeing the results I was hoping for!  The good news is that you can put together your own skin care routine that wont break the bank.  But, it does take time - think at least 3-6 months of committing to a routine.   

All of the products I use and/or mention are linked at the end of this post.  Also, please excuse the fact that you aren't seeing my face in this post - I've been sick for 10-days and no one wants to see that! :)

To start, think about all of the things that bug you about your complexion.  For me it was: dark spots, visible pores, lines/wrinkles, dry skin.  That's where I started my research and developed my own skin care routine.  Here it is.

M O R N I N G  R O U T I N E

One || I wash my face in the shower.  I like cleansers with exfoliators in them since one of my concerns is my pores.  Select a face wash that targets what you'd like it to do or for your skin type.  If you feel like you have dry skin, and washed your face the night before, you can likely skip this step.  It may lead to drying your face out even more.

Two || I apply the line of Advanced Clinicals serums - Retinol, Collagen, and Vitamin C.  (I let them absorb into my face while I brush my teeth.)

Here is what each of these serums do:
Retinol: Helps fight fine lines and wrinkles.  Not an instant fix but does minimize and prevent their appearance over time - think 6 months-ish.

Collagen: Helps to plump our skin.  As we age, we lose some of the collagen and elasticity in our skin, this helps to rebuild it.

Vitamin C: This helps to brighten your skin as well as reduce and prevent dark spots.

Three || I apply my moisturizer.  For a daytime moisturizer you definitely want something with SPF (even in the winter) and something that keeps your face from drying out.  This Restore & Renew Moisturizer from No. 7 works well for me. It also helps to even out skin tone.

Four || Apply eye cream.  I like this one from Origins.  It has some caffeine in it that helps to wake up, brighten and de-puff my eyes in the morning. 

E V E N I N G  R O U T I N E


My evening skincare routine is quite a bit easier than my morning routine because lets be real, I just want to go to bed at night!  But... DO NOT skip your evening skin care.  I am a true believer that this is where the magic happens!

One || Remove make up. I like this micellar cleansing water from Garnier.  I apply some to a cotton pad and remove all of my make up - foundation and eye make up.  This is the crap that clogs pores.

Two || I was my face.  I'm not too picky on what I use for a face wash.  Neutrogena Naturals actually has a really good makeup removing facial cleanser.  I got this one from Origins for free as a rewards member.  I really like it but will likely go back to the Neutrogena Naturals cleanser when this one is gone.

Notice this little brush?! It's like a magic wand and I swear by it! It's a facial cleansing brush.  I use this brush 2-3 times/week to get my face really clean.  Apply your face wash to the brush, dampen your face and scrub.  It has closed up my pores, evened out my skin tone and helped to brighten my complexion.  I've found that the the best time to do this is while my kids are in the bath tub.  #multi-tasking


Here is how I finish up my evening routine.

Three || Apply witch hazel as a toner.  It's a skin cleanser/astringent that works really well to give you face that final feel of clean and sucks the last bit of gunk out of your pores.  I apply some to the a cotton pad and wipe it all over my face.  Try it - you'll be shocked that even after washing your face, there is still makeup residue left behind.

Four || I apply my night cream.  Go for a night cream with LOTS of vitamins in it.  You know it's a good one if it contains Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B and Alpha Hydroxy Acids for skin cell turnover.  I like the Origins Night a Mins.  A little spendy but night creams are a good place to splurge. Neutrogena Naturals has a more cost effective option that contains most of the same vitamins.

Five || For fun and because who doesn't want long, thick lashes, I apply this Lavish Lash Serum.

W H E R E  T O  S P E N D vs. W H E R E  T O  S A V E

Spend: Moisturizers and serums.  These are the vitamins, sunscreen etc... that are going to impact your skin.

Save: Face wash and toners.  You need something that will clean your face.  Toners can be as simple as witch hazel and are totally optional.  As for a facial cleansing brush, you don't need a fancy electronic one to do the job, a hand-held one will do the trick. 

So there you go... my skincare routine.  It may seem like a lot of steps but skin care is worth it and doesn't have to be expensive.  Make up your own routine using a little research that way it's guaranteed to fit your budget and you get want you need.  As I've gotten my skin care in line my make up application - especially foundation - has really improved.  Another perk to look forward to!

I am also trying out a Jade Roller and Derma-rolling once a week.  Want me to let you know how that's going??!!  (yes, I'm a weirdo about skincare)

Product List and Links:
Neutrogena Deep Clean Invigorating Scrub
Advanced Clinicals Skin Care Set
No. 7 Restore & Renew Day Cream
Origins Ginzing Under Eye Cream
Micellar Water
Origins Face Wash 
Neutrogena Naturals Face Wash + Makeup Remover
Facial Cleansing Brush
Witch Hazel
Origins Night A Mins
Neutrogena Naturals Nourishing Night Cream
Lavish Lash Serum
PCA Skin Pigment Gel (for removing dark spots)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!