MENU

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

How we celebrate Easter + Easter Basket Goodies For the Boys

Hard to believe that it's already Easter.  One of my favorite memories growing up was getting up early to hunt for our Easter baskets then getting all dressed up and having my hair done especially nice for church, followed by a big Easter dinner with my cousins.  Easter nowadays looks a lot different.  I'm the one planning Easter for my family - how did I come this far so quickly?  And, who gave me all of this responsibility?!

Actually, it's not that difficult.  My husband and I, along with Colton and Hank have our own Easter celebration.  This is strange to me, and honestly, sometimes hard.  I haven't done well letting go of the whole big-family gathering Easter celebrations that I'm used to.  This change came at my husband's request to stick around home for this holiday.  While I thought it was strange at first, it's really started to make sense for our family.  You see, we live a long ways from his family and my family so it's a lot of work to pack up the kids for an overnight stay, or even a quick day trip.  And, when the Easter holiday falls later in the spring - like mid-late April, it's nice to be closer to home since our jobs are both in agriculture. 

So, how do we celebrate Easter?  

Our first priority is to go to church.  Afterall, Easter is a Christian holiday.  Since church is early I'm planning on preparing a simple Easter brunch, served on nice dishes. Strange that I feel as though serving our meal on nice dishes is important enough to share but pulling out the best, even for a small gathering, creates meaning and a sense that what we are celebrating is important.  

Here is our menu:
Cinnamon Rolls (the frozen kind)
The Pioneer Woman's Pretty, Yummy Fruit Salad
Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Funfetti Cookie Cups (the boys and I will make these together for something to do this weekend)

Let's not forget Easter baskets!  I'm not really big on going all-out for gifts on this holiday and I'm trying to avoid giving them so much candy.  (I think I still have Easter candy from Colton's first Easter.)  So, I'm keeping things pretty simple.  Here's a look at what's going in their Easter basket.


I'm thinking the Easter basket hunt will have to happen after church or we might have a knock-down, drag-out fight over not wearing our new chore boots to church.  (They are not rain boots at our house, they are chore boots.  Remember, I have farm boys.)  I also opted for dollar section type of toys so I don't feel bad if they get wrecked or if they mysteriously disappear one day.  But, do you all remember water snakes??!! I do - I didn't realize they still made them.  Such a good find!  By the way, I love having young kids, I don't have to work hard at hiding anything!

Easter Basket Source List
Stripe Rain Boots - Target | Black Rain Boots - Target | Ferdinand - Target | Water Snakes - Walgreens | Paddle Ball Paddles - Walmart

Happy Easter!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!