MENU

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

3 things to do with palms on Palm Sunday


The boys were all mine this weekend while their dad was out of town.  We always have a good time and try to do something special together - just the boys and I.  And honestly, I take pride in taking my kids out in public.  I do my best to teach them how to use their manners, not beg for things and just how to be decent in public.  If someone gets in trouble or acts up, we just go home.

When we are out with our kids, generally, one of two things (sometimes both) happen; First, a complete stranger says, "wow, you have your hands full" to which I reply, "yes, and so is my heart," or the stranger compliments us on how well our boys behave in public. To which I give my most heartfelt "thank you."

You see, my boys are busy.  Most days I love it because they are being creative, silly, learning, and engaged in their surroundings and not watching tv, phones or ipads (which we never allow in public.)  On the flip side, they are busy. Which means that I am always on my toes, trying to referee arguments over toys, keeping them from digging holes in the yard or taking off their boots in the snow.

This weekend I was set on bringing them to the Palm Sunday church service.  One of my "things" during lent was to not let a lame excuse like "my husband it out of town," keep me from going to church. I am a strong believer that attending church is essential in raising children. Believe it or not - we made it to church, early even!  Now, in my scramble to get everyone to church in a pleasant mood, I forgot two important things about Palm Sunday service; 1. We get palms in church. 2. The gospel reading is the Passion of Jesus. Uggghhhh... I said a quick prayer asking God for patience, good behavior and peace.

It was about that time that we began the procession to the alter to take a palm. I thought about avoiding this all together - I had a hunch that palms and kids might get out of control but my feet started to move before my mind made the final decision to stay put. So there we were, a palm in each of my boy's busy hands, headed back to our pew.

My kids are fairly well-behaved in church but remember how I said a couple paragraphs ago that my boys are busy. That showed in true form.  During the reading of The Passion the boys, mostly Colton, discovered 3 things you can do with palms:

1. You can have sword fights with them (duh!)
2. You can tickle people with them - anybody really. In front of you, behind you, next to you. It really doesn't matter. (thank God we have the best church family in the world)
3. You can "go fishing" in the pew ahead of you. (I nearly busted out laughing when my 3-year-old showed me this)

It's true that you can  do all of these things as long as mom doesn't catch you and your being quiet.

The palms also work as a fantastic bribe that sounded something along the lines of: "You can have all of the palms after church is over if you sit quietly." Colton (he's 3) got all of the palms, clearly they were something he desperately wanted.

Here's why I share this story. It's because as moms, we can do hard things as long as we allow ourselves grace and the ability to find humor in the situations put in front of us.  Plus, God doesn't care how we come as long as we are there.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!