MENU

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Meet Gabe

Gabe is here!


He arrived on February 15 weighing in at 8lbs 3oz of cuteness, officially making me a #boymom.  We named him Gabe Lawrence.  Gabe because it was short, traditional and there was no mistaking that he is a boy (yes, we're simple folk like that) and Lawrence for Adam's grandpa.  I think it has a good ring to it.  It will roll off my tongue really well at some point when I need to get his attention.



Adam and I always wait until the baby is born to find out if we'll be raising and boy or girl and we were fully prepared to be raising a girl (totally bought girl stuff) - just guessing based on the pregnancy.  We were all surprised, even the doctor, when she announced "It's a ... boy!" I think we both said in sync, "A boy?!" and from there everything felt perfect and right with the world.

Once the doctors and nurses had cleared the room and it was just Adam, Gabe, and I, I said to Adam, "Aren't you so proud that we are parents to 3 healthy boys?"  With watery eyes filled with pride and joy he said "Oh-my-gosh, yes!" and then followed up with "but I feel bad for you that we wont have a girl for you to get to do your stuff with." I think he was concerned about me feeling lonely down the road when the boys grow up.  That's not the feeling at all, I'm excited to have all boys - I was meant to raise boys.


The hardest part of having Gabe was that his brothers couldn't come into the OB to meet him (they got to meet him thru the window) due to flu season.  I was crushed.  I was sad for Colton because he wanted to be with me so bad, his big heart was worried about his mama being in the hospital and he wanted to be there with me to keep me company. I was sad for Hank because this would be his only chance to meet his new sibling in the hospital. But, I did get to hug and kiss the big boys outside of the OB and spend a little time with them running around, checking out what the hospital had to offer.  (I'm crying right now. This still makes me really sad.) Fortunately the excitement was not lost by the time we got home.


Leaving the hospital with Gabe was a little surreal knowing that was the last time I'd experience the magic of delivering a baby and the last time I'd walk out of  The Birth Place with a new baby because Gabe is the last baby we plan to have.  After we got Gabe loaded in the truck to take him home the nurse, Sue, gave me a big hug. It's as if she knew it would be the last time we'd likely see each other.



I love this sweet boy so much and I love having a newborn baby!  But, if I start talking crazy about having another one (because clearly I've forgotten how uncomfortable and crabby I was during pregnancy) - someone please throw some cold water on my face. I know that once we are out of diapers (again) and everyone is eating table food and playing together nicely I'll love the phase we are in.

The transition to 3 boys has been easier than expected.  Actually, going from 2 kids to 3 kids has been easier than 1 kid to 2 kids so mama's there is hope.  Don't get discouraged.  I've also got to throw in there that Gabe is a really good baby. I'd mention the things he's doing really well but I'm not going to jinx it.  Sorry.


PS... I took Gabe's newborn pictures myself.  This is a shameless humble brag because I'm really pleased with how they turned out. :)

Cheers!

1 comment :

  1. Beautiful photos Beth!! So happy for you all! He's so precious and so loved already!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking!