MENU

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A Living Room Addition Update

It's March!

Hard to believe we started our house addition project in January.  And, to tell you the truth, it's moved along rather quickly.  The inside of our house is done with the exception of a little decorating but I think I'm going to drag that out so I don't make all kinds of impulse purchases that seem to add up (money and stuff) over time.  Not to mention, I just can't decide on art for the space - hopefully I can get a more clear vision for it once our new couch comes (fingers crossed it comes Friday!)

I really should have taken more "before" pictures but construction happen REALLY quickly.  Our contractor called the day before he started so it was a mad house trying to get prepared for them to come.  Before pictures had to take a back seat.  I have some and will write a before and after post once I get some furniture in place (and dig up my old house pictures).

Here is a look at progress...


I wanted a clean, airy, almost organic feel to the space with deep wood tones and black accents.  I'm using light colors and dark walnut accents to achieve the feel I'm going for.  I also opted for a patterned carpet.  I like the look of texture and this is one of the ways I'm bringing texture into the space.
One of the best things we did was add recessed lighting with a dimmer.  Let me tell you - it's AMAZING!  If you are thinking about lighting, I'd encourage you to think about recessed lighting with a dimmer.  It's looks clean, floods our space with light and can be dimmed in the evenings which helps our boys to wind down before bed.  In our old living room we only used lamps so it felt dark because we couldn't light up all four corners of the room.

The other thing we did was save ourselves some money by keeping this big custom window.  It's crazy how many people have come to our house and noticed this window.  They never knew it was there because it was somewhat blocked by the porch on front of the window and covered by a shade on the inside. Without the porch or the shade, we can see for what feels like miles and miles.

In the kitchen and dining room we decided to change the floors - since we were making all kinds of changes anyhow. We previously had a dark laminate flooring that was hard to clean and blended in with the cabinets.  It was inexpensive when we bought it and it showed four years later.  I opted to go for something lighter and high quality. This is an LVT flooring that is waterproof and virtually indestructible.  When it was being installed I was nervous I'd hate it because it was SO drastically different but I love it.  Not to mention, my floor stays clean-looking rather than smudged and smeared from the wear and tear of two boys.


We are loving this extra space!  The fact that we can all spread out is incredible - we can have rodeos in the living room (I have two boys that want to be cowboys) and the boys can wrestle with their dad on the floor without the chance of wrecking anything.

Do you all want to see decorating updates and how-to's?  Let me know!

Want to see the full design board - check out this post. My kitchen rug is linked in that post.

SOURCES
Carpet - Resista Soft Style, Framework in Kahki | Paint - Silver Birch by Glidden

If you want to see more of this space, how I'm decorating it and how we live in the space, follow me on instagram - @bethmariekohler

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!