MENU

Friday, July 5, 2019

Where to use outdoor rugs in your house

Living on a farm, and having boys, we have so much traffic (and dirt) coming in and going out of our house.  It's ridiculous.  As someone who loves to decorate my home, it kills me to not have a beautiful entryway way filled with a gorgeous flat-weave rug, fresh flowers and a few throw pillows.

But practicality, and reality, took over.

Although, I really did need a rug. It just had to be inexpensive, handle dirt, wear and tear, and be easy to clean.  Then it finally dawned on me that an outdoor rug was the answer!  It handles my kids wet stuff from the snowy winter months and the mud they drag in after a rain in the summer.  When it gets dirty enough, I just take it outside and spray it off with a hose.

Not only was the outdoor rug the answer for my entryway, it was also the answer for our old farmhouse basement.


As our family grew in size, and the piles of toys have accumulated, we fixed up our farmhouse basement as a toy room.  It's a little chilly down there with cement walls and floor, and has a tenancy to get a little damp following a hard rain but all-in-all it works pretty well as a toy room. 

Since the basement can get a little damp, a traditional rug was not the answer for the space.  They hold water and take forever to dry out which leads to a stale smell and potentially mold and mildew.  The perfect solution, again, was an outdoor rug. It was inexpensive (we all know kids have the potential to ruin things) and it drys out quickly since it's made to handle the weather. 

I'm sure you noticed that I have the same rug in my basement and entryway - this was a total fluke. I ordered the 5x7 rug from Target for the basement because I liked the style even though it was too small.  Then the 8x10 came back in stock so naturally I snagged it and moved the 5x7 to our entryway.  The UPS man for sure  had de ja vue.  Target has some pretty stylish outdoor rugs that you can usually find on sale.  Bad news is that the one I have is out of stock but, I did link some of my favorites below.

Oh, and I do actually have an outdoor rug outside!  The boys are often outside playing on it and sometimes we even grab a few books and pillows and find ourselves reading stories on nice summer nights. 







1 comment :

  1. It’s difficult to get knowledgeable men and women with this topic, and you appear to be what happens you are dealing with!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking!